If you’re looking for an authentic vegan Asian dish, this Pad Thai recipe is your best bet. The flavors and textures blend together to create some wonderfully savory noodles, sure to tantalize your taste buds. Create that restaurant feel without spending a fortune by cooking up this moreish homemade version.
This recipe uses sugar, but you can also use date syrup or maple syrup. Even though there’s a sweetener in the recipe, this pad thai is deliciously savory. Did you know that chefs often add sugar to savory dishes to make them more palatable? It’s a great tip for you to use in your own home cooking.
- 7 oz rice noodles (or 200 g)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or 60 g)
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 packs of tofu (or 10 oz)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ purple cabbage, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups mung bean sprouts (or 150 g)
- 2 scallions
- 1.5 oz shelled peanuts (or ½ cup)
- Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Mix the soy sauce, ginger, and sugar or date syrup.
- Cut the tofu into cubes or strips and marinate in the soy sauce mixture for 3 minutes.
- Remove your tofu from the marinade, and pour the rest of the marinade onto the noodles.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan, and stir-fry the tofu cubes over high heat for 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. Transfer to the bowl with the noodles.
- Stir-fry the vegetables over high heat without oil for 3 minutes. Lower the heat, add mung bean sprouts, stir, and combine the mixture to the noodles and tofu.
- Chop the scallions, break the peanuts into halves, and sprinkle them onto each serving.
Keywords: Pad Thai, Tofu, Asian, 30 minutes or less, easy, main dish, tofu, veggies
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A simple, gorgeous sushi bowl with teriyaki tofu to make weeknight dinners quick and easy! It won’t take you long to put together this nourishing, colorful plant-based meal!
Looking to give vegetables center-stage at your dinner table? This is a great example of how to elevate a simple veggie with a few ingredients, promoting it from a side dish to a juicy, delicious show-stopper.
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!