Chinese Style Tempeh
Our Chinese Style Tempeh is one of the most satisfying dishes you’ll ever come across! Served with rice and crisp fresh veggies, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. It’s one of those dishes that strike the perfect balance between tasty and healthy – it won’t leave you feeling sluggish, but you will feel very satisfied.
There’s no need to spend lots of money at a Chinese restaurant, you can get amazing flavors of Chinese cuisine in the comfort of your home with this savory recipe.
- 1 block of tempeh (or 8 oz)
- 1½ cups rice (or 300 g)
- 2 bok choys
- 6 oz snow peas (or 170 g)
- 2 scallions
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce (or 64 g)
- ½ cup vegetable broth (or 122 g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1½ tsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Thai chili pepper (optional)
- Cook your rice according to the package.
- Chop the bok choy into 1-inch pieces, separating the white parts from the green parts. Slice the scallions. Cut your tempeh into 12 strips.
- In a bowl, combine the vegan broth, light soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Add chili peppers if desired, then whisk.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the hoisin sauce with 1 tablespoon of water to create a glaze.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté your tempeh in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, until browned, for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to the glaze bowl and make sure it’s well coated by it.
- Return your skillet to medium-high heat, and stir fry the bok choy whites for 2 minutes. Add snow peas and continue to stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add bok choy greens, and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add more sauce, and continue to stir fry.
- Push greens to the sides of the skillet, then stir in the stir fry sauce until it bubbles and thickens, for 1 minute. Coat the greens with the sauce.
- Serve your greens over rice. Add the hoisin glazed tempeh strips, and drizzle any remaining glaze over them. Sprinkle with fresh scallions.
Time for dessert! Have a generous slice of our refreshing Luscious Lemon Cake!
Keywords: Tempeh, quick, 30 minutes or less, veggies, soy
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!
Home made vegan soft serve ice-cream with no bananas, no cashews and no coconut cream. And it’s a beautiful, trending Barbie pink! Use just 3 simple ingredients to get creamy, smooth raspberry ice-cream that’s dairy-free, affordable, and totally vegan!