This fluffy and fruity lemon cake is absolutely exquisite! We all deserve a treat now and again and this lusciously sweet and tasty cake is perfect to satisfy any cake cravings. We all get them! There aren’t any eggs in this recipe, but that’s not a problem as the baking soda/distilled white vinegar combo works its magic and acts as the perfect egg replacer.
This delicious delicacy can be served for dessert with plant-based whipped cream, as breakfast with fresh berries and coconut yogurt, or as a midday (or midnight) snack! You can even use the ingredients to make some yummy cupcakes instead of a cake if you’d prefer.
- 1¼ cups + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (or 240 g)
- ¾ cups white sugar (or 150 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cups non-dairy milk (or 185 g)
- ¼ cup vegetable/olive oil (or 55 g)
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray one 8-inch (20 cm) cake pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the non-dairy milk, olive oil, vinegar, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Whisk with a hand whisk briefly until nicely combined and no big lumps remain. Don’t overmix, tiny lumps are okay.
- Place the batter into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the pan and place it onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest for decoration.
- This cake recipe can also be made in a 9-inch (23 cm) cake pan with no other changes. The layers will be slightly thinner, but still perfect! The cooking time will be the same.
Keywords: Dessert, sweet, cake, lemon, easy, egg alternative
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A simple, gorgeous sushi bowl with teriyaki tofu to make weeknight dinners quick and easy! It won’t take you long to put together this nourishing, colorful plant-based meal!
Looking to give vegetables center-stage at your dinner table? This is a great example of how to elevate a simple veggie with a few ingredients, promoting it from a side dish to a juicy, delicious show-stopper.
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!