Traditional Indian Curry
Traditional Indian Curry
- Active Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: Indian
What could be more comforting than a big bowl of hot curry served on a nice bed of aromatic basmati rice? Indulge in our veganized traditional recipe that makes for a perfect Indian curry. It’s full of flavor, rich, and inviting – and it will make your kitchen smell delicious for hours!
- 2 large potatoes, cut into cubes
- ½ cup of olive oil (or 65 g)
- 1 block of tofu
- Oil for frying
- 4 finely chopped onions
- 7 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 5 chopped tomatoes
- 100 g tomato paste
- Half a bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- Half a lemon
- ½ tbsp of date syrup (or molasses)
- 15 fresh or dried curry leaves
- ½ tsp of Hawaij (spice blend of cumin, black pepper, cardamom, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves)
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients together.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, mix with about half the seasoning, and the rest of the olive oil, and leave it to marinade (this takes 30-60 minutes).
- Brush the cubed potatoes with about half of the olive oil, and bake until they are semi-tender (about 20 minutes at a medium heat – 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4).
- After your tofu has marinated, fry the onion until golden brown. When the onion is almost ready, add the garlic to the pan and stir.
- Add the tofu and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and the rest of your seasoning, and stir.
- Add the potatoes.
- Add about half a cup of water and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the pan, and add half a tablespoon of date syrup.
- Cook for another 5 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The curry is ready to eat when the potatoes are tender and the sauce is thick. Remove the curry leaves before serving.
- Are you in love with Indian recipes? We recommend making our Indian Lentil Soup and the Red Lentil Dal.
- Try our weekly plant based meal plan for more tasty ideas!
Keywords: curry, lunch, dinner, tofu, main dish
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew with Dark Chocolate
A mouth-watering stew that will leave your home filled with fragrance and warmth. Packed with protein and fiber, nourishing and satisfying.
Add the dark chocolate in this recipe and you’ve got a classic, aromatic stew full of rich, interesting flavors that’s sure to please the tastebuds.
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Spicy Indian Red Cabbage
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!