Bonfires, camping, making s’mores, parties and backyard barbecues are all great events and ideas on how to enjoy these sweet and soft vegan Homemade Marshmallows. After trying these, you won’t even be tempted to purchase store bought marshmallows again!
- 2 tablespoons agar-agar powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Mix agar-agar into 1/2 cup of cold water.
- Bring sugar and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Do not stir once syrup begins to boil. Heat to 238 degrees F (114 degrees C) or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from water and placed on a flat surface. Remove from heat and add the agar-agar. Pour syrup into a glass bowl; let cool briefly.
- Beat the syrup using an electric mixer until thick and white. Mix in vanilla extract and salt until the marshmallow mixture is combined.
- Mix 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch together; spread over the bottom of a 9-inch baking pan. Pour the marshmallow mixture on top; let stand until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Cut into square marshmallows using a wet knife. Dust with remaining confectioners’ sugar.
Did you know?
Marshmallows usually contain gelatin that is made by boiling skin, bones and other animal parts. Fortunately, we can make vegan marshmallows ourselves and use better ingredients instead!
More like this:
Looking for a classic comfort food made vegan? Search no further!
These wholesome meatless meatballs are the perfect addition to any savory meal, including pasta dishes, served with rice and veggies or even sliced and topped on pizza.