Tofu and Seitan Kebabs
The spicy skewers are perfect for a BBQ in the sizzling summer heat, maybe even with vegan sausages, burgers, charred sweetcorn… Sounds amazing, right? Or you can eat the skewers at home, close your eyes and pretend it’s a warm sunny day outside with a BBQ.
It’s an easy-to-make protein-filled meal that all your friends are going to enjoy! Pack the kebabs for lunch, or grill them at your next party. Let us know in the Challenge 22 Facebook group what you think!
- 1 block (300 g) firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 400 g seitan, cut into cubes (or 14 oz)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or 66 g)
- ¼ cup maple sauce (or 60 g), molasses (or 70g), or brown sugar (or 55 g)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the marinade:
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil, and minced garlic.
- Add the tofu and seitan, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour the marinade into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer until it thickens.
- Thread the cubes of tofu and seitan onto skewers.
If you are using a BBQ grill:
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Lightly brush the skewers with oil.
- Grill the skewers for 3 minutes on each side, and brush with the marinade.
- Garnish with green onions and add the remaining sauce.
If you are using an oven:
- Preheat the oven to 400 ̊F (200 ̊C)
- Place the skewers in a baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the skewers and bake for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with green onions and add the remaining sauce.
Looking for something else to grill on your BBQ? Try our famous Lentil Burger!
Keywords: kebab, Tofu, seitan, easy, BBQ
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A simple, gorgeous sushi bowl with teriyaki tofu to make weeknight dinners quick and easy! It won’t take you long to put together this nourishing, colorful plant-based meal!
Looking to give vegetables center-stage at your dinner table? This is a great example of how to elevate a simple veggie with a few ingredients, promoting it from a side dish to a juicy, delicious show-stopper.
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!