White Bean Spread with Onion and Tomato
This spread is the perfect snack or appetizer for any occasion and will have everyone asking for the recipe! After trying this amazing spread, you’ll want to jump start your way into Challenge 22. Sign up here!
- Oil for frying
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup cooked white beans, well drained
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onion on high heat until light golden brown (around 5 minutes)
- Add tomatoes and stir
- Crush the garlic, add to the pan and cook for around 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Put the beans in a bowl, add the vegetables, salt and pepper, and mix (you can set aside some of the vegetables as a garnish for serving).
- Blend in a food processor or using a hand blender.
- Beans can be replaced with other cooked legumes
- Quick version: replace the fresh tomato with 2 tablespoons of crushed tomatoes (not tomato paste); skip the onion and the frying stage, and add the crushed garlic while blending.
- We recommend adding fresh herbs: basil, parsley, dill, cilantro or mint.
- The spread can be made with fried mushrooms and onions instead of tomatoes.
More like this:
This classic comfort food is absolutely ten times better now that it’s vegan! This dish will have you making it a staple meal for lunch and dinner, and even adding your own twist of different veggies and spices
Serve this tempting Apple Cake fresh out of the oven with a large scoop of your favorite ice cream for a twist on the classic serving of apple crumble with soft serve vanilla ice cream.