A vibrant centerpiece, these stuffed bell peppers are the belle of the ball at dinner parties – get ready to receive lots of compliments! Colorful, hearty, and delicious, this recipe really lets you get creative. What’s your favorite plant-based cheese, or meat replacement? You could use these to customize your stuffed peppers to really showcase the versatility of vegan food.
- 6 bell peppers, tops removed
- 2 onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ cup rice
- Oil for frying
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the sauce:
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp “chicken flavored” broth/stock powder (with no animal ingredients)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Chop the onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the rice, stir for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Blend the tomatoes in a food processor, and add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir.
- Add this mixture to the rice.
- Make the tomato sauce: mix together the water, stock powder, tomato paste, cumin, and paprika.
- With a spoon, fill each pepper with the rice and tomato mixture, up to about two-thirds full.
- Place the peppers vertically in a saucepan or deep frying pan, and pour the sauce over them, so most of the peppers are covered.
- Cover and allow to simmer for an hour.
- Serve hot or cold.
Try our weekly plant-based meal plan for more delicious dishes!
Keywords: main dish, stuffed peppers, veggies, rice