- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles (or 250 g)
- 7 oz vegan cheese (or 200 g)
For the Lentil Bolognese:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped celery stick
- 1 chopped carrot
- ¼ cup red wine (optional) (or 65 g)
- 2 14-ounce cans chopped tomatoes (or 800 g)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 14 oz cooked or canned lentils , rinsed and drained (or 400 g)
For the vegan Bechamel sauce:
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or 60 g)
- 2 3/4 cups unsweetened soy milk of your choice (or 700 g)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the veggies (onion, celery and carrot) over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the wine and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes over high heat or until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, sesame oil, salt and pepper, stir and cook over medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked or canned lentils and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Blend the lentil bolognese. We used an immersion blender to get a thick consistency, but you can also use a food processor or blender. Don’t over blend. Set aside.
Vegan Bechamel Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook over medium-high heat for about 1 to 2 minutes or until it starts to brown. Stir constantly.
- Pour the soy milk gently, stirring with a whisk. You can use cold or warm soy milk, it’s up to you. I prefer to add soy milk at room temperature.
- When the sauce thickens, add the salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir and set aside.
Assembling the lasagna:
- We used oven ready lasagna noodles, but feel free to use any kind of lasagna noodles you want. Cook them according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven according to package directions. We preheat it to 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Spread a thin layer of white sauce on the bottom of a baking or casserole dish. Top with a layer of noodles (4 lasagna noodles).
- Spread a third of the lentil bolognese, then about a third of the white sauce, sprinkle a third of the cheese (see picture number 4) and then top with another layer of noodles (4 lasagna noodles). Repeat these steps twice, but the second time you don’t have to top with a layer of noodles.
- We baked the lasagna at 390ºF or 200ºC for 30 minutes, but the temperature and the baking time is dependent on your lasagna noodles.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Keywords: Vegan Lasagna, lentils
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A delicious and quick recipe for zucchini fritters that remind us of home. Made from healthy and available ingredients.
Broccoli quiche is so easy to make and delicious that it will upgrade any meal you prepare for a festive day. This pie is satisfying, full of calcium and protein, and even kids love it! All that remains is to prepare and lick your fingers…