In the mood for a sizable slice of lasagna that’s nutritious to boot? The lentils and veggies in this recipe come together to make the most mouth-watering, protein-packed bolognese. This is comfort food at its finest.
Not only is the lasagna delicious, but it’s also packed with healthful ingredients. Lentils, for example, are great sources of iron and calcium. You’re sure to come back for seconds with this nutritious and most importantly flavorsome recipe, or how about thirds?!
This mammoth of a dish is perfect for feeding your entire family. If there are leftovers, store them in the fridge or freezer to continue enjoying their deliciousness. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3 days and in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (or 250 g)
- 7 oz vegan cheese (or 200 g)
For the Lentil Bolognese:
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped celery stick
- 1 chopped carrot
- 2 14 oz cans chopped tomatoes (or 800 g)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 14 oz cooked/canned lentils, rinsed (or 400 g)
For the Bechamel sauce:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (or 60 g)
- 2 ¾ cups unsweetened plant milk (or 650 ml)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Cook the onion, celery, and carrot over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper stir and cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 mins.
- Add your lentils and cook for another 5 mins. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 mins, or until it starts to brown. Stir constantly.
- Slowly add your plant milk, stirring with a whisk.
- When the sauce thickens, stir in the salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Set aside.
Layer your lasagna:
- If your lasagna noodles are oven-ready, preheat your oven according to package directions. (If they’re not, cook your lasagna noodles first.)
- Spread a thin layer of white sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with 4 lasagna noodles.
- Layer a third of the bolognese, then about a third of the white sauce, sprinkle with about a third of the cheese, and top with another 4 lasagna noodles. Repeat.
- We baked our lasagna at 390ºF or 200ºC for 30 mins (following our package instructions).
- Let your lasagna rest for 10 mins before digging in. This may be the hardest part!
Keywords: lasagna, lentils, main dish
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!
These Spicy Vegan Drumsticks are really easy to make, all you need are some frozen vegan ‘chicken’ drumsticks and lots of spices for a truly finger-licking experience. They go really well with oven-baked potato wedges, rice, and veggies, or you can go all out with some classic French fries.