Vegan Basil Pesto
Vegan Basil Pesto
- Active Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: breakfast, snack, dip
This Italian-style Vegan Basil Pesto is so fresh-tasting, flavorful, and works wonders on pasta for a deliciously easy meal. You could also add it to pizzas, salads, sandwiches, or lightly coat cooked veggies with it. Although this vegan version skips the cheese often found in pesto, it’s still incredibly tasty. Most of the flavor in pesto comes from basil and the cheese really isn’t needed to produce a yummy sauce. Don’t believe us? Try it for yourself!
The word pesto comes from the Italian verb pestare, meaning ‘to crush’. This refers to the pestle and mortar which are traditionally used to crush the ingredients for pesto. It may not be a coincidence that pestle and pesto are similar too. Don’t have a pestle and mortar? Not to worry, simply use a food processor or blender instead. Pestle and mortar do work best, however – crushing your ingredients brings out so much more flavor.
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 tbsp of pine nuts (or 15 g)
3 packs of basil leaves
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
3 tbsp olive oil (or 40 g)
A little salt
Pestle and mortar:
- Put the garlic clove in the mortar, sprinkle in a little salt, and it until it’s finely ground.
- Add the pine nuts and grind the mixture together until all the pine nuts are crushed.
- Add some of the basil leaves and grind them until they break apart, but don’t break them apart too much (this step takes a bit of effort).
- After you’ve ground the leaves, add a few more leaves at a time and grind until you’ve run out of basil.
- Add the nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt if necessary.
In the blender:
- Put the basil, garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast and salt, and mix.
You can keep it in a jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Are you on the lookout for other spreads? Try our delicious White Bean with Onion and Tomato Spread.
Keywords: basil, pesto, vegan, spread, breakfast, easy, under 15 minutes, quick
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew with Dark Chocolate
A mouth-watering stew that will leave your home filled with fragrance and warmth. Packed with protein and fiber, nourishing and satisfying.
Add the dark chocolate in this recipe and you’ve got a classic, aromatic stew full of rich, interesting flavors that’s sure to please the tastebuds.
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Spicy Indian Red Cabbage
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!