If you’ve been dreaming of some hearty comfort food, this spinach lasagna recipe is for you! Packed with protein and iron from the tofu and spinach, this dish is both healthy and satisfying. You can even get whole wheat lasagna sheets to make this recipe more of a whole food one.
Crushed silken tofu perfectly mimics the texture of traditional ricotta and it’s super easy to make a delightfully creamy, vegan version of béchamel or white sauce. Finish off the dish with a sprinkling of vegan cheese to make it even more decadent and delicious.
Lasagnas are definitely a crowd-pleaser, and this one doesn’t disappoint! Cut yourself a big slice and enjoy it thoroughly. Try pairing it with a fresh salad for a revitalizing garnish. Let us know your thoughts in our Challenge 22 Facebook group!
For the Béchamel sauce:
- 400 g unsweetened plant-based milk (or 14 oz)
- 20 g cornstarch (or 0.7 oz)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling:
- 270 g silken tofu (or 9.5 oz)
- 90 g tomato sauce (or 3 oz)
- 12 g miso paste (or 0.4 oz)
- 90 g béchamel sauce (from above) (or 3 oz)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 270 g spinach, cooked and thoroughly drained (or 9.5 oz)
- Salt, to taste
For assembling the lasagna:
- The béchamel sauce
- Main filling
- 8 lasagna sheets, cooked, according to the package
- Vegan cheese, if desired
- For the béchamel sauce, place all the ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat, and stir well to combine. Heat slowly, stirring constantly until the liquid reaches the boiling point and thickens.
- For the main filling, cut the spinach as finely as possible.
- Place the tofu into a large bowl, and crush it using a spatula to achieve a ricotta-like consistency. Add the tomato sauce, miso paste, béchamel sauce, and paprika into the bowl, and stir well to combine.
- Add the chopped spinach into the bowl, and mix well. Taste the mixture, and adjust the taste if needed.
- To assemble your lasagna, pour some of the béchamel into a 23 cm (9 inches) oven dish, add some of the main filling, mix well, and spread the mixture evenly.
- Place a layer of pasta on top of the filling, then add another filling layer. You will have enough ingredients for 4 layers. The last layer should be a filing one.
- Add some béchamel sauce on top of the last layer, and a bit of vegan cheese, if desired.
- Grill in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. If you don’t have a grill, preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) and bake the lasagne for 15 minutes.
Try our lentil lasagna for a different take on this beloved dish.
Keywords: high in protein, high in iron, lasagna, pasta, spinach
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!
Home made vegan soft serve ice-cream with no bananas, no cashews and no coconut cream. And it’s a beautiful, trending Barbie pink! Use just 3 simple ingredients to get creamy, smooth raspberry ice-cream that’s dairy-free, affordable, and totally vegan!