Spinach and Tofu Lasagna
This scrumptious Spinach and Tofu Lasagna is a great take on the classic Italian lasagna dish! Cheesy sauce, protein-rich tofu, and aromatic spices combine perfectly to create a hearty and comforting dish. Serve it in good company, with a nice glass of white wine!
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 300 g spinach (or 10 cups)
- 730 g unsweetened soy milk (or 3 cups)
- 90 g flour (or 6 tbsp)
- 150 g tofu, crumbled (or ⅔ cups)
- 150 g tofu, cubed (or ⅗ cups)
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Soak the 150g of tofu cubes in salted water, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, or 350°F.
- Bring 2½ cups of soy milk to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the remaining half cup of soy milk. Add this to the hot milk, stirring constantly until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and add about three quarters of the crumbled tofu, spices, mustard, salt, and pepper. This will make a cheesy sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the spinach with the rest of the crumbled tofu. Drain the tofu cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic, onion, and red pepper, and sauté for a few minutes. Add the oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for a few more minutes. Add the spinach and tofu mixture, stir and cook for another 5 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Line a deep baking tray or casserole dish with greaseproof paper. Pour a quarter of a cup of cheesy sauce on the bottom. Layer 3 sheets of lasagna on the bottom, followed by half of the spinach and tofu mixture. Over this, pour the rest of the cheesy sauce, and another 3 sheets of lasagna. Top with a layer of spinach and tofu.
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the top.
- Cover your tray or dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
Keywords: lasagna, main dish, Italian, tofu
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Whether you are on the lookout for an easy breakfast or a filling snack, these delicious guacamole tortillas are the perfect find.
Yes, you can still enjoy a nice omelet without breaking any eggs – this is where the versatile chickpea flour comes to the rescue.
Easy-to-make, aromatic, and filling, this basmati rice with dried fruit, pine nuts, and almonds works wonders as an addition to any festive dinner.