Spinach and Tofu Lasagna
Spinach and Tofu Lasagna is a great take on the classic Italian lasagna dish!
Best served with a good glass of white wine.
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 300g spinach
- 3 cups of (unsweetened) soy milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 150g tofu, crumbled
- 150g tofu, cubed
- 2 chopped red peppers
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baharat spices (can be substituted with another spice mix, such as curry or hawaij)
- Soak the 150g of tofu cubes in salt water (this should be enough water to cover the tofu cubes, with a teaspoon of salt added).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, or 350°F.
- Bring 2½ cups of soy milk to a boil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the remaining half cup of soy milk. Add this to the hot milk, stirring constantly until well combined. Remove from the heat and add about three quarters of the crumbled tofu, the spices, mustard, salt and pepper. This will make a cheesy sauce.
- Mix the spinach with the rest of the crumbled tofu, and the tofu cubes – be sure to drain these well first.
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic, onion and red pepper, and sauté for a few minutes. Add the oregano, salt, and pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Add the spinach and tofu mixture, stir and cook for another 5 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Line a deep baking tray or casserole dish with greaseproof paper. Pour a quarter of a cup of the cheesy sauce on the bottom. Layer 3 sheets of lasagna on top, followed by half of the spinach and tofu. Over this, pour the rest of the cheesy sauce and another 3 sheets of lasagna. Top with a layer of spinach and tofu.
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the top.
- Cover your tray or dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Having an Italian dinner? Take a bite of our vegan lasagna or our plant based spinach lasagna
- Try our weekly plant based meal plan for more tasty ideas!
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A delicious and quick recipe for zucchini fritters that remind us of home. Made from healthy and available ingredients.
Broccoli quiche is so easy to make and delicious that it will upgrade any meal you prepare for a festive day. This pie is satisfying, full of calcium and protein, and even kids love it! All that remains is to prepare and lick your fingers…