Spicy Tofu Marinade
Looking for a little spice in your diet? You’ve come to the right place! This dish is the ideal balance of sweet and spicy – the chili powder mixed with molasses and other inviting flavors make this marinade absolutely mouth-watering!
Use it in stir-fries, for skewers, on tofu, tempeh, or seitan, and even in salads. Add your veggies of choice, and some grains, and create a colorful and flavorful dish that will brighten your day.
Want a recipe without spice next time? Try our Asian Tempeh Marinade and you will come back for more.
- 300 g firm tofu (or 10 oz), cut into cubes of 1-inch (2.5 cm), or sliced into 1-inch slices
- ¼ cup dried tomatoes, soaked for at least 30 minutes before use (or 14 g)
- ⅛ cup sugar (or 25 g)
- 3 tbsp molasses or maple syrup (optional)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ hot pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix everything (except for the tofu) in a medium-sized bowl, by hand, or blend it on high until well combined.
- Chill the marinade in your fridge for a few minutes so it can thicken.
- Marinate the tofu in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but you can keep it for up to 24 hours to get a more flavorful result.
- You can serve your marinated tofu in salads, or use it in hot dishes, like Pad Thai or fried rice.
- You can replace the tofu with seitan or tempeh (but don’t serve them raw).
- For a BBQ you can place the tofu slices straight on the BBQ, or thread the tofu cubes onto skewers.
Keywords: tofu, tempeh, marinade, spicy, hot, easy
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A simple, gorgeous sushi bowl with teriyaki tofu to make weeknight dinners quick and easy! It won’t take you long to put together this nourishing, colorful plant-based meal!
Looking to give vegetables center-stage at your dinner table? This is a great example of how to elevate a simple veggie with a few ingredients, promoting it from a side dish to a juicy, delicious show-stopper.
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!