After tasting this schnitzel recipe, you won’t ever want schnitzel made any other way. This Seitan Schnitzel is not only fun to make, but tastes amazing with the perfect amount of spice and bursts of savory seasoning.
- 2 hot chilis
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened (preferably soy milk)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flax egg mixture (1 part ground flax seeds plus 3 parts water)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a blender place chilis, nut butter, soy sauce, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and broth. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl place the vital wheat gluten
- Pour in the liquid from the blender to the vital wheat gluten and stir until a loose dough forms.
- Roll up your sleeves and knead the dough with your hands for 2-3 minutes to activate the gluten. Lightly flour cutting board.
- Break the dough into 6-7 pieces. Roll each into a ball and with a rolling pin flatten them into schnitzel-ish shapes.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and place the rolled out schnitzel pieces on it. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and remove from oven.
- I use shallow bowls or pie pans for the dipping process. Place milk, flour and sesame seeds, flax seeds and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls or pie pans.
- Dip each piece of schnitzel dough first in milk (on both sides), then flour (both sides), then flax seeds (both sides), then bread crumbs (on both sides). I really try to press the bread crumbs on firmly because I want a really crunchy final product.
- Heat up your oil in a wide pan and fry the schnitzels until golden brown and crispy on each side. Remove from pan and serve with a wedge of lemon.
More like this:
You can’t go wrong with this delicious mix of strong Asian flavors that marinate the tempah ever so perfectly.
This sweet and refreshing smoothie bowl will make you feel amazing, and not to mention healthy by adding so much nutritious fruit, and filling chia seeds to your diet.