Red Lentil Dal
stew, rich in protein, iron, and healthy, complex carbohydrates. This dish is also a gentle choice for those who sometimes suffer from stomach pain after eating legumes. Incredibly simple to prepare and especially recommended for curry lovers!
An easy one to rustle up, red lentil dal is wholesome, warming, and affordable. Replace fresh cilantro with dried, and this recipe is made entirely from pantry staples. As dried herbs bring a more intense flavor, sub the fresh cilantro with a teaspoon of dried cilantro.
- 1 cup red lentils (or 200g)
- 2 large onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (or 200 g)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 handfuls of chopped cilantro
- Oil for frying
- Cook the lentils in a covered pot with 2 cups of boiling water for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are very soft and are starting to lose their shape.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and garlic, heat a little oil in a skillet or frying pan, and fry until golden brown.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, curry powder, salt, and cilantro, stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture to the lentils, and mix until combined.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot.
Keywords: dal, lentils, quick, easy, 30 minutes or less, high in protein, high in iron
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!
These Spicy Vegan Drumsticks are really easy to make, all you need are some frozen vegan ‘chicken’ drumsticks and lots of spices for a truly finger-licking experience. They go really well with oven-baked potato wedges, rice, and veggies, or you can go all out with some classic French fries.