Quinoa and Tofu Salad
This refreshing and nourishing quinoa and tofu salad is perfect for any occasion. It’s time to debunk the myths spread by salad haters out there! This recipe has got such yummy, fresh, delicate flavors. Not only is it tasty, but it will also leave you feeling so nourished and glowing as there’s a ton of nutrients in there. This is the perfect recipe for those times when you’re not feeling like a really heavy meal, although this salad is still nice and filling because of the chickpeas, quinoa, tofu, and seeds.
The recipe calls for chickpeas, but If you discover that there’s not a single chickpea in your cupboard, do not worry! Pretty much any canned legume will work well. Or if you simply like another legume more than chickpeas, definitely go for it! Cannellini, kidney, and black beans work really well for example.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine-mesh colander (or 185 g)
- 2 cups water (or 473 g)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 230 g)
- 10 oz tofu, diced (or 300 g)
- 1½ cups baby spinach, roughly chopped (or 50 g)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 30 g)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or 30 g), or add more parsley
- ⅓ cup green onion leaves, chopped (or 35 g)
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, thinly sliced (or 60 g)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (or 40 g)
For the Tahini dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil (or 53 g)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (or 57 g)
- 2 tbsp tahini (or 30 g)
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, for about 15 minutes, reducing the heat as time goes on, to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, which gives it time to fluff up.
- Meanwhile, roast the pumpkin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until they become fragrant and start making little popping noises. Transfer them to a large serving bowl to cool for a few minutes (we’ll add more to the bowl in a minute).
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste, and add up to 1 more tablespoon of lemon juice, or more pepper, if necessary.
- Once the quinoa is ready to use, add it to the large bowl. Add the chickpeas, spinach, parsley, cilantro, green onion, tofu, and Kalamata olives. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine. Serve immediately, or let it cool and refrigerate for later. This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.
Keywords: salad, quinoa, tofu, main dish, easy, quick
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Whether you are on the lookout for an easy breakfast or a filling snack, these delicious guacamole tortillas are the perfect find.
Yes, you can still enjoy a nice omelet without breaking any eggs – this is where the versatile chickpea flour comes to the rescue.
Easy-to-make, aromatic, and filling, this basmati rice with dried fruit, pine nuts, and almonds works wonders as an addition to any festive dinner.