- Active Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish
A hot bowl of comforting pea soup is the perfect way to warm yourself up on a cold evening. Curl up on your sofa and relax, enjoying this heart-warming serving of ha-pea-ness!
Legumes, such as dried peas, are a great source of protein and iron and are an important part of any diet. This soup is easy on the pocket, but filled with nutrition and taste! Serve it as a main dish or as an appetizer with some toasted whole wheat bread for that delightful crunch.
- 1 onion, chopped
- Oil, for frying
- 1½ cups dried peas (or 330 g)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2–3 liters boiling water
- 1 bunch of parsley or dill, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Spices, to taste: cumin, paprika, black pepper, and salt
- Fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the carrots and garlic and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add all of the spices (except the salt), and stir briefly.
- Add the peas, stir, and add the water to the pot, making sure the peas are fully covered.
- Cook on low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally. When the soup is nearly ready, add the parsley or dill (but save a little to use as a garnish when serving), and add salt to taste.
- Pour into your favorite deep bowl and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
- For a more velvety texture, blend before serving.
- Substitute lentils for peas, if you prefer them: try 1 cup of red lentils plus ¾ cup of green lentils.
- Try topping with nutritional yeast before serving!
- Still hungry? Try our weekly plant based meal plan for more yummy ideas.
Keywords: Soup, pea, main dish, side dish, high in protein, high in iron, easy
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Stew with Dark Chocolate
A mouth-watering stew that will leave your home filled with fragrance and warmth. Packed with protein and fiber, nourishing and satisfying.
Add the dark chocolate in this recipe and you’ve got a classic, aromatic stew full of rich, interesting flavors that’s sure to please the tastebuds.
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Spicy Indian Red Cabbage
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!