A hot bowl of comforting pea soup is the perfect way to warm yourself up on a cold evening. Curl up on your sofa and relax, enjoying this heart-warming serving of ha-pea-ness!
Legumes, such as dried peas, are a great source of protein and iron and are an important part of any diet. This soup is easy on the pocket, but filled with nutrition and taste! Serve it as a main dish or as an appetizer with some toasted whole wheat bread for that delightful crunch.
- 1 onion, chopped
- Oil, for frying
- 1½ cups dried peas (or 330 g)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2–3 liters boiling water
- 1 bunch of parsley or dill, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Spices, to taste: cumin, paprika, black pepper, and salt
- Fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the carrots and garlic and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add all of the spices (except the salt), and stir briefly.
- Add the peas, stir, and add the water to the pot, making sure the peas are fully covered.
- Cook on low heat for about an hour, stirring occasionally. When the soup is nearly ready, add the parsley or dill (but save a little to use as a garnish when serving), and add salt to taste.
- Pour into your favorite deep bowl and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
- For a more velvety texture, blend before serving.
- Substitute lentils for peas, if you prefer them: try 1 cup of red lentils plus ¾ cup of green lentils.
- Try topping with nutritional yeast before serving!
- Still hungry? Try our weekly plant based meal plan for more yummy ideas.
Keywords: Soup, pea, main dish, side dish, high in protein, high in iron, easy
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!
Home made vegan soft serve ice-cream with no bananas, no cashews and no coconut cream. And it’s a beautiful, trending Barbie pink! Use just 3 simple ingredients to get creamy, smooth raspberry ice-cream that’s dairy-free, affordable, and totally vegan!