The Best Vegan Oatmeal
Oatmeal can be the most interesting and diverse morning meal, eaten cold or hot, with fresh or dried fruit, nuts, spices, nut butters, maple syrup or whatever your heart desires! It is also extremely healthy and had been known to lower cholesterol. Let us know in the Challenge Group what your favorite toppings are!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 Tbsp sugar (brown is better)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Handful of raisins
- 1 Banana, chopped into cubes
- In a small saucepan, cook the oats with the water and soy milk on a medium flame for 10 minutes, stirring so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Add sugar, bananas and raisins, sprinkle a dash of cinnamon, and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring.
- Serve in a deep plate.
- The oatmeal can also be made in the microwave: combine all the ingredients except the banana in a bowl, and microwave at medium heat for 3 minutes. Mix well, add the banana and microwave for another 2 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure the oatmeal doesn’t spill over.
- Dieters can make savory oatmeal – leave out the sugar, fruit and cinnamon, and add salt to the oats and water mixture (we recommend adding some nuts to enrich the flavor).
- The sugar can be replaced with maple syrup or applesauce.
- Other fruits such as apple, peach, pear or any seasonal fruits can substitute or be added to the banana.
- We recommend adding chopped nuts, coconut or chia seeds (for omega-3).
Keywords: Oatmeal, vegan, vegan desserts
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Guacamole tortillas can be snacked on at any meal – breakfast, lunch, or dinner – whether as a starter at a festive dinner or as a side dish at an everyday meal.
A hit among vegans and is often served for breakfast in cafes. A great source of protein and iron. One chickpea omelette for breakfast will keep you satisfied for a few hours!