Ready to try a succulent homemade burger harnessing the power of lentils? A simple recipe for lentil burger patties, best served on a hamburger bun with your favorite sauces and fresh vegetables.
Making burgers from scratch allows us to change up the flavors as much as we like – you could add nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, or mushrooms to your burger patties. The lentils provide a healthy helping of protein, iron, and zinc, along with a health-giving dose of fiber.
- 1 cup green lentils, canned/frozen or pre-soaked (or 200 g)
- ½ cup oat flour (or 44 g), or breadcrumbs (or 66 g)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh parsley (or 30 g)
- ½ cup flax seeds (or 75 g), or ground walnuts (or 60 g) (optional)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste, or tahini
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt (or 3 tbsp soy sauce)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- oil for frying
- Rinse the lentils well, and pulse all the ingredients together in a food processor until combined.
- Form 5 patties from the mixture, pressing firmly into shape.
- Fry your burgers in a tablespoon of oil for 5 minutes on each side. Alternatively, bake on baking paper at medium heat for about 15 minutes on each side (it’s best to coat the burgers in a little oil first so they don’t dry out).
- If you don’t have a food processor you can make these burgers using a hand-held blender or even a fork. In this case, cook the lentils for 15-30 minutes first.
- Instead of using lentils, you can make the burger patties using a cup of soy mince. Re-hydrate it first by soaking in half a cup of boiling water until soft. For this method, you don’t need a food processor at all. Just mix all of the other ingredients above with the soy mince until combined.
- Does a burger sound too heavy? Serve the lentil patty with a nice serving of refreshing tabbouleh salad.
- Check out our weekly meal plan for more delicious meals!
Keywords: burger, lentil, main dish, 30 minutes or less, high in protein
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Just wait until you get a taste of this refreshing mango sauce – you are going to want to pour it over anything sweet! This is luscious drizzled over ice cream or pancakes, and the fact that it is so easy to make it’s such a nice bonus.
Our Spicy Indian Red Cabbage recipe is delicious beyond belief! It is inspired by one of the most flavorful cuisines, which also happens to be one of the most vegan-friendly ones!
These Spicy Vegan Drumsticks are really easy to make, all you need are some frozen vegan ‘chicken’ drumsticks and lots of spices for a truly finger-licking experience. They go really well with oven-baked potato wedges, rice, and veggies, or you can go all out with some classic French fries.