No matter where you are from, you will fall head over heels for this filling and healthy soup. Looking for another Indian dish to try? Cook and taste our Indian Pea, Vegetable and Cashew Curry!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 cups water
- Oil for frying
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Place lentils in a covered pot with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and tomato and fry in a pan with spices while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the pan mixture into the pot, add the cilantro, garlic and lemon juice, and stir.
- The cilantro can be replaced with parsley
- Cumin can be used instead of turmeric.
- The amount of water can be reduced to 3 cups, and the soup can be served as a stew over a bed of rice.