Lentils are some of the friendliest legumes, so if you are just starting to introduce them to your diet, this is the perfect place to start. Lentils are little freckles of joy, happy to transform any meal into a protein-rich dish! They also come with a healthy serving of iron and fiber. So dive in and enjoy this easy-to-make, 25 minutes soup that will disappear as quickly as you have made it.
- 1 cup red lentils (or 200 g)
- 5 cups water (or 1.2 l)
- Oil for frying
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (or 10 g)
- Place your lentils in a covered pot with 5 cups of water, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and tomato, and fry in a pan with spices, stirring from time to time for the next 5 minutes.
- Add the pan mixture into the pot, add the cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice, then stir.
You can use parsley instead of cilantro.
No turmeric on hand? You can use cumin instead!
The amount of water can be reduced to 3 cups, and the soup can be served as a stew, over a nice bed of rice.
Looking for another Indian dish to try? Cook and taste our Indian Pea, Vegetable, and Cashew Curry!
Keywords: soup, lentil, quick, 30 minutes or less, easy