Cornbread with poppy seeds
This unusual cornbread makes an excellent breakfast, split in half and slathered with vegan butter. But it’s equally at home served with a bowl of chili! It’s nice, fluffy, and absolutely delicious – you are going to love those crispy edges. It is easy to prepare and fully powered by plants, making it a perfect staple for both hearty meals or simple and sweet breakfasts.
½ cup (or 70 g) yellow cornmeal, certified gluten-free if necessary
½ cup (or 65 g) fine wholemeal pastry flour, or a gluten-free flour blend
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp (or 15 g) sugar, *optional
1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed into 2½ tbsp water
½ cup (or 120 g) soya milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together first, so they have time to combine into your ‘flax egg’.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Lightly grease a small baking dish (we use a 7”/17cm round pie dish).
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, if using.
- In a separate container, beat your flax egg and oil into the soya milk.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until the mix is just incorporated and no dry flour remains. If you overmix at this stage, your cornbread could become tough.
- Pour the mixture into your greased pan and sprinkle the poppy seeds over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
*You can skip the sugar if the bread is part of a savory meal, rather than for breakfast, but feel free to try it both ways to see which you prefer.
What’s next? We recommend our delicious Tex-Mex Bean, Corn, and Pumpkin Chili, and a nice TV show!
Keywords: easy, corn
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
A nourishing way to get dinner on the table in minutes! Vibrant lamb’s lettuce combines with almonds and cashews to create a creamy, oil-free, beautiful vegan green sauce. Also delicious drizzled over pasta, veggies, or whatever else your plant-based heart desires!
Home made vegan soft serve ice-cream with no bananas, no cashews and no coconut cream. And it’s a beautiful, trending Barbie pink! Use just 3 simple ingredients to get creamy, smooth raspberry ice-cream that’s dairy-free, affordable, and totally vegan!