Basmati Rice with Dried Fruit, Pine Nuts and Almonds
As an addition to a festive dinner, a Sabbath feast or just dinner – this rice with the dried fruit will fancy-up your meal!
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ cup of blanched (peeled) almonds
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Salt to taste
- Fry the rice on a low heat for about a minute and then add two cups of water, and salt to taste. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts and almonds without oil in a skillet or frying pan.
- When the rice is ready, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and wait for about fifteen minutes before serving.
Try our weekly plant based meal plan for more yummy ideas!
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Guacamole tortillas can be snacked on at any meal – breakfast, lunch, or dinner – whether as a starter at a festive dinner or as a side dish at an everyday meal.
A hit among vegans and is often served for breakfast in cafes. A great source of protein and iron. One chickpea omelette for breakfast will keep you satisfied for a few hours!
Emma Ben-David (78) from Ashkelon, Israel, switched to veganism several years ago, inspired by her daughter. She ‘veganised’ the traditional recipes from Indian and Iraqi cuisine and agreed to share with us all the secrets to a perfect Indian curry – and so we got this recipe for a traditional vegan Indian curry.