Fried Rice with Crispy Tofu
This easy Asian-style tofu stir fry makes for a perfectly fulfilling lunch or dinner! Fried rice with crispy tofu – a popular dish bursting with traditional flavors from hoisin and teriyaki sauce. Add more of your favorite vegetables and spices to personalize this dish and fall in love with it even more!
For this recipe, you’ll need to pat the tofu dry, which is actually a really important thing to do so please don’t skip this step! Getting rid of excess water from the tofu is really vital because the drier your tofu block is, the more it will absorb all the amazing flavors from your other ingredients. This recipe uses pre-prepared frozen veggies and they’re an absolute lifesaver. No need to spend ages chopping and prepping. They’re easy on the wallet too!
- 1 block (or 16 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into ½” (1.5cm) cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked rice (preferably cold)
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups frozen veggies
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the tofu. Cook until the bottom turns golden. Gently shake the pan and flip to cook the other sides, until most sides of the tofu turn golden. Transfer the tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil, the cooked rice, green onion, and garlic into the same pan. Cook and stir, so the rice is not sticking together, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the frozen veggies. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes so they get a chance to thaw.
- Add back the cooked tofu. Add the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and teriyaki sauce. Cook and stir until the sauce is mixed evenly. Remove the pan from the stove and taste the rice. To adjust the seasoning, sprinkle a bit more salt and mix everything together if needed. Transfer everything to a serving plate.
- You can also use seitan or tempeh instead of tofu.
Keywords: rice, main dish, Asian-style, 30 minutes or less, easy, veggies
For more recipes and tips from experienced mentors and certified dietitians, join Challenge 22 for free!
More like this:
Prepare big plates for this one, because you are going to fall in love with it! This is a finger-licking delicious vegan version of the popular Middle Eastern food, Shakshuka. It is a great choice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so have it whenever you are feeling peckish.
Whether you are on the lookout for an easy breakfast or a filling snack, these delicious guacamole tortillas are the perfect find.