These divine filo pastries are perfect for any occasion, big or small. They are light and fluffy, yet full of fresh flavors to please every crowd. Searching for another way to use versatile tofu? You won’t want to miss out on our Tofu and Seitan Kebabs!
- 1 Package extra firm tofu
- 1/4 Cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped basil leaves
- 2 Cup roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 450 gr package vegan filo dough (thawed as per instructions)
- 1 Cup melted vegan butter/margarine
- 1/4 Cup of sesame seeds
- Drain the tofu of excess water. Crumble it into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper and stir well with a fork to combine.
- Add the finely chopped basil and spinach leaves and stir once again until the mixture is well combined.
- Roll out your package of thawed filo and lay it between plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out while you work with one sheet at a time. Take one sheet of filo and lay it onto a clean, dry surface with the shortest side toward you. Brush with a light coating of melted butter. Then lay a second sheet on top. Brush with another light coating of melted butter. Then slice it into 4 rows lengthwise, approximately 3″ (7.5 cm) wide. Take a heaping tablespoon of spinach and tofu mixture and place it at the closest end to you. Then roll it up, not too tightly, to create a triangle.
- Place the triangles on a parchment covered baking sheet. You can bake immediately or freeze them at this stage. Just cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to bake. Do not thaw the triangles before baking.
- Before baking, brush the tops with another light coating of melted butter and sprinkle the sesame seeds
- Bake in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C) for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown and crispy
Keywords: Tofu, Filo, Pastries